Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Squirrels, Dogs, Cats And Marie

When I thought that I had heard all of the Marie Stories, I found out that I was completely wrong. This morning her son, Roger and his wife, Virgie stopped to say good-bye to Marie before they left to go home to Texas. Marie has been very very ill these last few weeks, but a couple of days were wonderful gifts to us all. She was verbal for the first time in a very long time and also was alert and aware of her surroundings and knew her boys.
Marie Rose Aubin Lizotte
Age 96 
This morning the four of us were sitting out on her deck and the reminiscing started. Then a new story popped up that I had never heard before. Of course, I couldn't wait to share it with you all.
I was aware for many years that Marie loved animals. I also knew that Fran had to put a stop to her feeding the neighborhood cats as well as the wildlife that lives in the timber next to her home. She didn't realize how much it was costing to feed the o'possums, squirrels, cats as well as dogs.
Roger started telling about Marie years ago when she lived in Massachusetts feeding critters IN her home! 
Marie allowed two families of squirrels to come into her home. She fed them table scraps until one of them bit her. She immediately stopped the "squirrel soup line" and told them to get out. Her boys knew not to hunt squirrels unless they were deep in the woods, because the ones close by were hers.
Then the story started to get more and more detailed. It seemed she had countless numbers of cats and dogs that lived in her house. They had designated closets that each cat knew which one was theirs.
One day a Husky dog decided to come into her home uninvited seemingly because he had heard the "free food rumor" started by the squirrels. Roger said that the Husky left with two cats on his back. The owner of the dog tried to get Marie to pay her vet bill. Evidently the cats were very territorial and their attack caused the dog to have 142 stitches. True to form, Marie held her ground and did not pay the vet bill!
This was a new story for me and of course, I told Roger he was making it up. Since Fran was there and verified it I am putting it on line for posterity.
Another Marie story is probably still waiting to be written. When I hear it, I will post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment