Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Marie's New Old Specialty

Years ago Marie felt that it was her duty to teach her new daughter-in-law new tricks of the trade (about being a good housewife) albeit I was in my sixties. She told me tricks about gardening. She also attempted to teach me how to cook for Fran. She also did NOT try to teach me to crochet because I told her at the onset that was not my forte. She, of course, was amazed that any man or woman did not only crochet or knit, but did not want to!
She used to love to talk. She would talk non stop even when we needed to leave she would continue talking. When we would come back in the room she was still telling the same story. That is how I have been fortunate enough to write many of her life stories. One of her favorite things to do was shop through Publishers Clearing House, and many of the various catalogs that she received in the mail. She would buy See On TV Only things that were pieces of junk in our opinion but it was her money and I told Fran just never mind that is her only way of shopping. She was not able to go to the Dollar General or Wal-Mart very often. As she got older she was not able to go at all.
Marie was a lady that always wanted to do her part for others. She knitted and crocheted hats and mittens for the needy children for years and years. She also baked for bake sales for various charities. This is all leading up to the day that Fran's brother-in-law's family gathering took place after his funeral. I considered him my brother-in-law also because we liked each other and fought about politics and community goings on like brothers and sisters do and laughed about it. Marie liked him also and depended on him and his wife if by chance she needed something while Fran and I were gone.
Marie said that she was going to bake a cake for him; we were a bit apprehensive about it because of her poor eyesight. We told her that was very nice of her. We took the cake to his home. We watched people eat her cake with smiles on their faces. I couldn't take it, I had to have a piece of her cake. It was delicious!  So of course, afterwords we stopped at her house to visit. I told her how people enjoyed her cake. Then the teaching of LuAnne began by explaining about her purchase of a microwave Bundt pan for "baking" microwave cakes. She would order one and get two for the same price without realizing that she had to often pay extra shipping costs for the second one.
I wasn't the only one that got the lecture, her son's wife, Virgie, also got the lecture as well as her "free" pan.
One day I thought why do you have to have a special pan for the microwave, so I made one in a regular Pyrex pan. It was fine, except not like Marie's.
I'm an Amazon shopper and one day I realized that I had enough points I could get a microwave Bundt pan free with my points. Then Marie got sick. Then I was here more than at home. Then I didn't want to bake any more. I was busy and I was sad.
One day she asked me if I had found her microwave Bundt pan. I told her that I had not, but I would look for it. No Bundt pan. So today I brought my unused Amazon free microwaveable Bundt pan and made a cake. I watched YouTube and the lady with her husband telling her what to say (reminded me of home) showed a trick she used for even baking. I did it. This is a very short video and the prize cake that turned out. I hope she will taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment