Thursday, March 21, 2019

Her Last Birthday Celebration

Marie was unable to speak towards the end of her life, but at times was very aware of what was going on about her. She told me just months before she passed away that she had no idea that she would ever live to be as old as she was at that time.
When folks asked me why I thought she lived so long, I would just laugh and tell them what she ordered on her grocery list each week; lean meat, vegetables and fruits. She did love sweets though. I will never forget how she slapped my hand when I told Fran many many years ago that he shouldn't eat gum drops that she had out in her candy dish. She told me, "You just leave him alone, those are good for his digestion!" We all laughed especially her son, Fran."
There was guitar music and singing by her grandson, Chuck and his daughter, Libby. I could hear them singing and having so much fun. Fun because they all loved each other. They were family. It made no difference if they lived thousands of miles apart. They had memories and pictures. Pictures just in case they had forgotten their wonderful me'me of so very long ago. Yes, she lived to be one hundred three years old. She was able to go outside and have her picture taken with her family. She even had a little cake and ice cream to celebrate her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment