Saturday, April 18, 2009

How She Met The "One"

Marie worked as a sewing machine operator in a factory that made men’s trousers. Marie made ten cents an hour until President Roosevelt said that was not enough money to sustain oneself, and the minimum wage was raised to twenty five cents an hour. Her future husband did heavy work there carrying bundles of trousers that had been made, inspected and bundled probably for shipping.
I asked her today where they went on their first date. She smiled and said, "To a park. We were chaperoned by my sister."
They had no car, so where they went they had to walk. The car that Raymond is leaning against is not his, but it makes a wonderful backdrop for this picture. Is he handsome or what?
Marie worked in this factory for eleven years. Her husband changed jobs and worked in a gun factory during the war, and later retired from a Key and Lock business where he worked for twenty five years. During the war Raymond worked the night shift from six at night until six in the morning and made twenty five cents an hour.
I asked Marie where they lived after they got married. She said that they lived in a cold water flat and paid five dollars a month. They paid their rent on a weekly basis. When she told me that, it made me feel so guilty about wasting money. If I lost a five dollar bill it would not mean that I could not pay my mortgage or rent. What a difference less than seventy years makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment