Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Wedding


I am an incurable romantic so of course, I wanted to know all about Marie’s wedding; out came the pictures. Each picture had a story. I was enthralled. I will, however, go back and get more stories to embellish the ones I have. Marie is like me and has a tendency to ramble because one story reminds her of another. See, I just did it!
The picture that you see is Marie in her wedding dress. The picture that I put here does not do it justice. The dress has a long train that is swirled about her feet.
Marie Rose Dora was married to Raymond Arthur on August 17, 1940 at the St. Joseph Church in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. She said that approximately two hundred people attended their wedding. The wedding started at seven in the morning and the festivities did not end until eleven at night. The reception was held in a dance hall from seven until eleven. She said that more than one musical group performed. Her cousin’s band was one group that she could remember.
Her husband’s family was from Michigan and they were also French. So I guess I have to believe my husband when he says that he is French.
Marie has a picture which I will put on the blog some day of the wedding party. I do not believe that there were any relatives of her husband’s in the wedding party. (I later found out that his sister, Jeannette was a bridesmaid.) They had two bridesmaids and a matron of honor and a best man whom was Marie's brother George. It was a very large wedding.
After the wedding they went to Canada for their honeymoon. Marie did not want to go there, but there was some family members that insisted so that is where they went.
Marie and Raymond were married for forty seven years before Raymond succumbed to cancer.
Marie and her husband had four children. I will get the latest count of grandchildren and great grandchildren. I think there might be a great great grandchild, but I need to check on that. What a legacy!

3 comments:

  1. I have a right to post a comment since I am her daughter-in-law. Isn't she a beautiful bride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this picture from her living room. I would love to see more pictures. I don't have any family or older pictures. She was and is a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes there is a great great grand and her name is Arianna Nevaeh Wilhite

    ReplyDelete