Thursday, April 16, 2009

Waylom Park


Marie has a French and East Coast accent which sometimes makes it difficult for me to understand some of the proper names she is using. I got on the computer today to see if I could find any of these old theaters she was talking about. I hit the mother load. I asked Fran why all of these actors and actresses came to this area. Fran said that it was close to Boston and these famous people would go on tour. These theaters, Cumings Theater for one, held eight hundred people. Waylom Park was one of the most interesting things I read about. It had an oval shaped ceiling or roof which was enormous and only had two poles that supported it and they were eighty two feet apart. The huge area had a wonderful lake and amusement park that surrounded it. I thought for today’s article I would just put some pictures in for you to see. When you go to the computer if you would like to see the complete list of programs and newspaper clippings they play old player piano music for you while you slip into yesteryear.
One interesting little quote from Marie was that she did not like Ronald Regan at all. When I asked her why, she said that he was arrogant and conceited and did not like fans to come up to him for autographs. She said he used his hands in a “shoo away” type manner that really put people off. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Waylom park was a blast as a kid. I do remember going there. Never did like the farris wheel though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad that the park was torn down.

    ReplyDelete