Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Marie's Marks On History

There are times that I so do wish Marie would/could talk to me. Today is one of those days. She will be leaving us with no answers to some things that happened in her life that generations to come will want to know.
They will want to know why she did grocery shopping lists on sheet music that is valuable beyond imagination.
Marie did her bank statements on invaluable souvenir books and wrote French lyrics and English lyrics and put them inside mismatched music books.
Marie has mentioned several times that she played the piano. She told me about playing with a brother/sister combo when she was young and how much fun they had.
She never ever told me that she was an accomplished player. When you open up the sheet music that Marie has, it is "black." That's what I used to call it when I opened up music that had lots of flats and sharps and huge octave ranges. All her well used music is "black."
I have Readers Digest piano books. Marie used to have, I think, because she has Readers Digest books that say Sheet Music on the outside but when you open them they are in fact lyrics to songs that have no books that coincide with them.
She has haphazard brown sheet music with no beginning and sometimes no ending. She would never have kept these sheets of history I don't think, if they hadn't meant something to her.
I found two only, sheet music folders/book/sheets that are still in tact. They are two that I remember seeing/hearing when I was a young person.
The first is Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
Marie has played it over and over by the way the music feels and looks. It is soft and smooth, but still glossy. It was copyrighted in 1936 . "The Way You Look Tonight" was the lead song in Swing Time. It was touted as having the greatest dancing in the history of the universe. It is said that by the end of the shoot of the movie, Roger's feet were bleeding.
I am sad that I was so young when I came in the scene to see Fred Astaire dance solo when I was a teenager and that was on television.
Fred and Ginger did only one movie together that was in color. It was budgeted for $2,325,420. It grossed $4,421,000. I put this in this post because in the industry today, $2,000,000 probably wouldn't cover an actor's salary.
This will be a very long post, but it needs to include the other sheet music by Kate Smith. Kate Smith was a big lady and suffered bullying by her coworkers. When I read a biography about her, they said that she would cry and cry in her dressing room before and after her performance. How could she sing so beautifully?
Things don't change much do they?
She was a fantastic singer, and very aggressive career wise.One of her biggest hits, was When The Moon Comes Over The Mountain. That music was copyrighted in 1931. I personally loved to hear her sing. I saw her on the Ed Sullivan show many many years ago.
This music is Scotch Taped together, but is still in tact.
I no longer play because of Multiple Sclerosis, but my fingers itch to give it a try. I may someday.
Thank you Marie, for your legacy of not only your family, but your nonchalance of "things." Too often people put such store on "things" that they lose sight of what is really important.
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment