Monday, March 12, 2018

Did You Ever Win A Blue Ribbon


Marie at 102 years of age is difficult to visit with because she is deaf and has some dementia. There are times, however, when she is sharp as a tack. When you want to visit, we use a dry erase board. Often, to get her to tell you a story you have to use very few words. Often just one or two.
The other day I asked her if she had ever won a blue ribbon on anything that she had made. She gestured with three fingers; three.
Well with that being said we were off and running for a new story. I had the newspaper clipping and the ribbon, but she didn't know that.
She won a blue ribbon in Fitchburg, Ma. for a crocheted dress that she had made. She said she saw one that she just loved in the store, but they wanted $25.00 for it. She actually counted stitches and completely memorized how it was made. She went home and made her own crocheted dress for $8.00.  The crocheting took her a week to make. I get a kick out of how long things took her. She says it took me a certain amount of days, months etc. but you have to take into account that she had a family to care for and a full time job. I asked her what color it was and she said, "melon." I asked her how many times she wore it and she said, "5". 
I asked her where she wore it and she said to a wedding.
I asked her if she had sold it and she said, "it's in there." She pointed to her cedar chest. She made that in 1960. 
I do not have a picture of the dress, maybe someday when we peek inside that beloved cedar chest to see her many treasures we will get to see her melon creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment