Friday, March 23, 2018

Marie Roseanna Antil Aubin

These pictures of Marie's mother show the young and the elderly woman. They show beauty and seasoned elegance.
This lady had thirteen pregnancies. She had a son that died at the age of four and a son that died at the age of six months.
I asked the group of her family one day when I showed her wearing an outrageously funny cowboy hat if she was always a fun lady. The responses were most surprising.
These were the comments from some of the fifty-six members of her daughter, Marie's Facebook closed group:
"She was a fabulous woman."
"Always"
"We used to pick strawberries and blueberries from her bushes in the backyard." A grandson added that they grape vines in their back yard and when the grapes were ripe we picked them. The bushes were so tall you could walk underneath and pick them standing up.
"Yes, I remember on Sundays when the family got together at Meme's she would get out her huge jar of pennies and have us kids sit all around the kitchen table. She taught us how to play "pass the card" and let us entertain our selves while the grownups conversed."
Another person said, "She would teach us all how to play Scat card game."
"She used to enjoy knitting, having family over on Sunday's, Families would gather and kids would play in the yard. She loved to play Skat or Crazy 8's."
Another said "In the summer when school was out, she would take care of a lot of us while our parents worked. After lunch she would watch her stories (soap operas) and knit mittens for the grand children, or crochet afghans and if you wanted to learn she would patiently teach us. I learned both from her."
A granddaughter said, "My mom and dad would go to Canada and New York to see her sisters, the nuns, and spend a week in the convent with them and Me'Me would take care of us. She knew I loved sewing and would teach me and we would make aprons, pot holders, just little things, but I loved the times I spent with her.
Another granddaughter told us that Meme was so talented, she always told me if I found something I liked which was knitted or crocheted to buy it but leave the tag on it so she could recreate it. She did! I wish I had learned from her. She made braided rugs, knit, crochet, quilted and had beautiful flower gardens. She was a great cook. We were so lucky to have her for so many years."
The story I got from her daughter, Marie Aubin Lizotte at the age of 102 is that she and her husband, Joseph went to the same Catholic church and sang in the choir; the romance blossomed from a seed of faith.
Roseanne, as a lot of people called her, was born in Fitchburg, Ma. June 30, 1892. She died at the age of 93 years.
Her children's names were: Raymond,  (died at age 4) Marie, George, Robert, Hector, Antionette, Theresa, Joseph Jr., Jeanne, Francis( died at 6 months) Charles, Lucy, and Pauline.
In 1986 she had 50 grand children, 105 great grand children and 1 great great grandchild.
I felt that this memory of our Marie's mother was important to document for all of her future generations.
Always a memory maker, it seems, enjoy them for always.


1 comment:

  1. After I posted this, I was told by one of her granddaughters that she loved to play Skat so much that she would take her big jar of pennies with her to a family gathering!

    ReplyDelete