Saturday, February 10, 2018

A Beautiful Set

I have been taking care of Marie in her home now for almost three months. You would think I would know the ins and outs of her home, but no It seems that every day I find some new thing about her that I had no clue she could do. I knew she was a seamstress and very creative. I knew that she could crochet and knit and sew and make afghans and quilt. However, I didn't know that she made quilts and pillowcases to match. I realized that when I went to make her bed and the underside of the quilt looked familiar. She had made pillow cases to match the underside of the quilt. Of course, she did.
She made one for Francis and his late wife, and explained to me one day that it took her about a year to make it. She said that she had made five of them. They are made of tiny little two inch squares and little bitty stitches. She told me years ago she had been offered a thousand dollars for one and she refused to sell it.
I wish I could remember the name of this quilt. It is like nothing I have ever seen before. She had made the pillowcase on the bias. I am sure she did that to utilize every bit of material she had.
Before I started caring for her she had two of these extremely heavy quilts on her bed. She always told me don't be afraid to wash it. They wash beautifully. True they do, but they are a load for your machine. I'm sure this won't be the last of my "finds". It just goes to show that when you think you know someone you just scratch the surface.
And of course, it was signed and dated on the underside.
I received a message from Marie's nice Kathie. She said this pattern is called the Cathedral Window. Aptly so, I think. A family heirloom.



2 comments:

  1. Kathy, Pauline's daughter just messaged me and told me the pattern us called Cathedral Window. As soon as I read it, I remembered Marie telling me that. Thank you so much, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...wish I had the patience for that.

    ReplyDelete