Friday, February 9, 2018

Marie's Sister Pauline

Good morning, this is a lady I know very little about except that she loves her sister, Marie. When Marie was discharged from the center after she broke her hip she came to our house to live for three months.
The family was in an upset at that time because their brother, Charlie was dangerously ill and in the hospital. Pauline would call if not every day or every other day to give Marie updates on his condition. At this particular time we were not allowed to call the facility and talk to him so Nancy, Charlie's wife would tell Pauline his condition and then Pauline would call us. I'm sure that she called other family members too, but I will always remember when Marie wanted to go home I talked to Pauline and told her I felt that we had become friends and would miss our visits. Marie's hearing impairment made it difficult to actually visit on the phone. Pauline would "talk" to Pauline by just talking to her and saying what she wanted to tell her.  Then I would take the phone and Pauline would tell me more news then I would translate it to Marie.
I told her I would miss our visits when Marie had moved back to her own home.
There are only a couple of things that Marie has told me about Pauline that I can remember. One was when it was approaching time for Pauline to marry, Marie and her mother and I'm sorry but I don't remember who the other ladies were
quilted a quilt for her. They put her name and year on the bottom of the quilt on the under side. Marie always said that Pauline and her daughter, Kathy were quilters. Oops, Marie led me astray. Kathie is the quilter and gave her mom a boost in that direction by getting her lessons. She enjoyed it and then she too, started quilting. I believe not until she retired at sixty-five years of age.
The other thing Marie told me was that Pauline was a smart lady and had worked at a very good job. At this time her daughter, Kathie did tell me that Pauline had celebrated her 89th birthday in December of 2017.
Now about that Aubin portrait....Marie's niece, Jeannine and I were talking about who the little girl was that had the attitude and would not look at the photographer. We have strong suspicions that it may have been Pauline. It would be so much fun if it was. The reason being is that I have never heard a story about her being naughty at all. Mercy, we all have to be naughty some time or another, don't we?
I hope when Kathie and Pauline read this, that they can fill in some blanks and tell us about her life when she was still in the Aubin home as well as her own. I can't wait to hear all about it.

   



1 comment: