Saturday, February 17, 2018

As Paul Harvey Used To Say.......

This is the rest of the story. The story was finished by Marie yesterday out of the clear blue. I was telling her again that I was writing her story over in the corner where my chair is at her house. My computer and I Pad that she enjoys looking at is on what she calls "the bench" or the breakfast bar that separates the kitchen from the living room. She has been looking at the pictures and reading the stories for years. I asked her yesterday where she and her husband went on their honeymoon. I knew where they had gone. I knew that she didn't want to go to Canada, but I didn't understand why they went somewhere on their special day if they didn't want to go there.
This is the rest of the story:
"You have to understand that my family was very close." She has said that many times before, but I thought she meant warm feeling close. No she mean, (you do what your elders say, close).
Her grandmother, Julia Antil insisted that they go to  Canada because she had a nephew that lived there and she wanted them to go and stay with them. Marie said that her grandmother was not someone to argue with so they went to Canada. The selling point on this trip was that they could stay with her grandmother's nephew while they were there and wouldn't have to buy groceries or rent a hotel room. Marie gave me a wry smile and said, "That was not the way it was." She told me that in 1940 the stores close at an early hour and if you didn't have something that you wanted, you were out of luck.
 When they got to Canada her grandmother's nephew told them they had only an hour to go do their grocery shopping before the store close. That was their first clue that their honeymoon was not going to be free. Marie told me that they went to the Botanical Gardens and that it was just about it for sightseeing. 
While they were there their car broke down and it had to be pushed quite a distance. The relative told that they needed to take their car to his cousin and he would fix it because he was a mechanic. It was not a "free fix" either.
When Marie was finished telling me this story about the week long honeymoon that was not any fun she started telling me about her grandfather being the Fire Department Chief. I have posted his picture in another post.
You need to remember that Marie was 102 years old when she was telling me this story so if all the facts are exactly accurate who cares.I don't think her relatives will. This is a story of feelings in my estimation, not accuracy of facts.
Marie is probably about 101 years old holding her blog book which she was so very proud of. She kept track of my additional stories to make sure they were right.

No comments:

Post a Comment